K-16 teachers and administrators can validate their knowledge and commitment to Project Based Learning by participating in the PBL Certification process. Experience in the utilization of PBL is being recognized by an increasing number of school leaders as a valued opportunity for educators. PBL Certification allows teachers/facilitators to demonstrate achievement of a high level of quality and success in the PBL process.
*Note: It is recommended that an educator have at least two years of PBL teaching experience before enrolling in the PBL Certification process.
- to establish standards and systems for certifying accomplished PBL educators
- to provide support and networks for PBL educators
- to engage PBL teachers and leaders in on-going professional development
Professional Development Experience
Certification by Magnify Learning recognizes teachers and school leaders for the quality of their practice in Project Based Learning. It is a voluntary process developed by experienced teachers, school leaders and other education stakeholders to validate educators who have met challenging professional expectations in PBL instruction as evidenced through the certification assessment.
After completing the PBL Certification process, the educator:
- has his/her school district administrator notified of his/her completed certification
- is formally recognized by the Indiana State Board of Education
- receives a certificate from Magnify Learning validating the PBL certification
- receives a digital badge from Magnify Learning validating PBL certification
- grows as a professional and develops new ways to help students learn and achieve
- joins the network of PBL teachers and leaders across the state of Indiana
Core Propositions of PBL
- Teachers and leaders are committed to student learning and performance.
- Teachers and leaders know the importance of and utilize PBL strategies and effectiveness in their classrooms.
- Teachers and leaders are responsible for managing and monitoring student learning.
- Teachers and leaders can benefit from being members of a larger network of PBL educators.
Part II: Certification Rubric
Part III: Submission Requirements
Part IV: Certification Renewal
Candidate Application and Eligibility Form (download as a Word document)
Certification documentation submissions are reviewed and scored by Suzanne Diehn, who is also responsible for the certification process. Candidates who are not successful in completing the certification have the opportunity of revising and resubmitting their documentation without having to start the process over.
More information about PBL Certification
- If an individual and/or a group of teachers is interested in working toward PBL Certification in a separate workshop or has questions about the PBL Certification process, please contact Suzanne Diehn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Individual Certification costs $75/person & Groups of 5 or more cost $50/person
- For more detailed information about the Magnify Learning PBL Certification program, you can download the complete guide to PBL Certification. Download the complete guide to the PBL Certification process.
Register for PBL Certification
Since 2013, 87 educators have earned their PBL certification.
PBL Certification is available at our 2019 Open PBL Workshops…
Certification applicants will work with a PBL Certified facilitator who guides and supports their work during the four day process. This four day process provides applicants with immediate support and clarification of all materials needed to validate authentic PBL classroom work. There is an opportunity for applicants to interact with other participants during the four day PBL event. The cost of the certification track is $500 for individuals and $450 for groups of 5 or more. This cost includes the opportunity to participate in all event workshops in addition to the certification process. To find out more about our 2019 Open PBL Workshops join our email list for monthly updates!